With the 1/2" chisel is complete, my first successful pattern welding is as well and i would say it's a good start. The handle turned out beautiful, putting the linseed oil on the Rosewood made it pop to say the least. I used a piece of copper pipe for a ferrule (another first for me), and I think the contrast between the three segments of the piece compliment each other nicely. I have also just started the next piece in the set. So some pictures follow of an even larger pattern welded billet of spring steel (5160?) and 15n20 band-saw blade.
...and the new pictures of the second larger billet.
Finally got an etch that I was pleased with. The trick was using steel wool and turtle wax to get all the oxides off after etching in vinegar gently. I'm sure of it now that the uneven etching is due to the original uneven quench and temper. Next time I plan on heat treating the piece at a very consistent heat, then tempering in an oven. We'll see... Here's some pictures of the progress, its almost done! The wood for the handle is Honduran Rosewood. I got some cut-off pieces from a local wood supplier. I won't be buying it again however, because I found out after I already bought the pieces that Rosewood is an endangered species due to deforestation. These will be some special handles I guess.
I am continuing work on the damascus chisel. Everything is going great somehow. I've filed the form, heat treated and now I am into the polishing step. Still have to figure out when/how to make the handle, but that will come in its own time. I decided to the leave the pattern as a straight laminate for this first one; no need to over complicate things yet. Plus, I really like the the straight lines look on a tool like a chisel- all converging towards the edge of the tool.
Finally I worked up the nerve to try my hand at my own damascus. Here's some photos of the progress so far, which seems to be going surprisingly well.
After epoxying and riveting the pins, the knife is almost done. Just some final touch-ups- sharpening, sanding, and oiling.
The locking mechanism works great! It makes an extremely loud click when engaging though. Other photos are posted in the pages of my finished work.
Decided to take on the challenge of making a folding and locking pocket knife. Anything with moving parts suddenly gets a lot more challenging, and this posed to me the same. Though it baffled me for a while in the designing process, its coming along now and almost ready to assemble completely. One if the trickiest parts is that I decided on making my own spring to fit into the handle that would act as a stop so the blade couldn't fold closed on its own. This would involve fabricating a small piece of high carbon steel and tempering it to a blue color so that it acts as a spring. Here are some images of the progress so far.